Saturday, August 4, 2012

Who I am

This will hopefully be a comical, uplifting, positive chronicling of my journey through kidney failure, dialysis, and transplant from my perspective. I have to believe that God has allowed me to go through this without a miraculous healing so that his Grace in my life might strengthen others, so I am going to put my story out there for whoever it may help. I thought I would start with a short narrative of who I am before the tedium of kidney dialysis, and the easiest way to do that is to give you a short piece of a journal entry that speaks to that specific question......

"Who Am I.....

I am a Christian. No, not the person with a fish bumper sticker and a bar tab. The kind who teaches his 2 year old to pray when he is scared at night because God is the first line of help in any situation. The kind who believes a heartfelt prayer over a sick child is more powerful than a team of doctors. The kind who is in church every Sunday, not because of importance to be seen and social, but because he truly believes that his life is spectacularly blessed of God and he must give praise for it. 

I am a husband. No, not a man with a ring and responsibilities. A man who truly understands the word smitten. A man who understands a Love that runs so deep you ache in places without a name. A man who is no longer his own, but is two flesh become one and who deeply desired to sacrifice whatever it takes to supply his love with all he can. 

I am a daddy. No, not a tired father, but a man who no longer knows fear, pain, or death if it means my child will live a better life. A man who can now understand gladly giving up life it means my child will live a fuller one. A man who knows  the fear of failure to be the man God called me to be so that my children will know Him and know His power. A man who knows the gut-wrenching agony of a sick child and the unfathomable joy of a child's laughter as it echos through your soul. 

I am a man of hope. No, not for wealth, power, or fame. I hope for strength. God called me to lead my family. I hope to never lose faith, to mirror God's love and strength to my family that my children will know God's power and peace in their lives. Strength to that hard times and trials will not overpower me so that my children will never see doubt. I hope for faith. Not the faith that believes my well-funded bank account will suffice my needs, but faith that writes "Lo, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil". Faith that leaves an indelible on a child that leaves no room for doubt, the kind of impression my father left with me. I hope for peace. Not an afternoon at home with no arguing, but a deep-seeded peace that soaks into my families souls and nourishes a trust in God that grows into a lifelong hedge of protection against the assault of the world. And I hope for the continued work of the Potter's hand. I hope for God to continue to help me become the Christian, husband, and father he saw in me when he first formed me. Make me into the vessel you need me to be to reach the full potential you filled me with. These are my hopes and dreams."



5 comments:

  1. Today I am so blessed to read this. Overjoyed to see your faith. Hopeful because of the strength your faith has already given you. Tearful not because of your difficulty, your faith will see you through, but because I know your dad and mom. I know their faith and see it in you. You have touched my heart today in a way that you will likely never know. My tears are those of joy as my emotions are mixed yet my spirit is so blessed to see such faith and commitment to God. The Potter's hand is reaching through you and I join with you in believing that He will make you into the vessel He desires. Thanks for the blessing.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. AFTER READING YOUR JOURNEY SO FAR A PERSON REALIZES THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE ARE NOT PROBLEMS. THIS HAS MADE ME SEE MY LIFE MUCH CLEARER. HOW SELFISH WE ARE. I HAVE BEEN BLESSED TO READ THIS. WITH THE LOVE AND FAITH IN GOD, THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR YOUR WIFE AND CHILDREN AND THE DETERMINATION TO BE THERE FOR THEM WILL SEE YOU THROUGH THIS JOURNEY. I PREY YOU WILL GET WELL SOON. AS MEN WE HOPE TO DO AS GOOD A JOB AS OUR FATHERS DID FOR US. YOURS HAS DONE A GOOD JOB. KEEP FIGHTING.
    MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS, BILL KNIGHT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so bless and inspired by your faith and hope, that i could not help but fall on my knees and give God great praise that he deserves

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is absolutely amazing, Anthony. Not only are you a very worthy (bovine) opponent at WWF, but you are truly beautiful inside. This actually strengthened me at the core. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came across your blog purely by accident. I blog over at www.diaryofakidneykid.wordpress.com about by infant son who was born with Stage V CKD. I actually laughed everytime the NICU docs said this and would think "He's a newborn. Life isn't even chronic yet!" Anyway, thank you for posting your story and your journey through this horrible disease. I often wonder what my baby feels as he can't talk yet. Your blog has put a "voice" to what he may be feeling.

    ReplyDelete